The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has unanimously endorsed Morocco’s joint FIFA 2023 Men’s World Cup bid.
During a meeting held via video conference on Wednesday afternoon, the CAF Exco agreed that Morocco’s bid presented another shot at hosting the World Cup for Africa.
Morocco is joining Spain and Portugal to deliver a transcontinental global soccer showpiece.
They would become the second African country, after South Africa in 2010, to bring the prestigious tournament to the continent.
Moroccans are confident that their country’s campaign is an actual African bid, as illustrated by the words of His Majesty King Mohammed VI at the CAF Awards in Kigali.
HM Mohammed VI declared last month that this unique partnership between Africa and Europe would be “unprecedented in football history”.
He further said the bid would bring together Africa and Europe.
“This joint bid, unprecedented in football history, will bring together Africa and Europe, the northern and southern Mediterranean, and the African, Arab and Euro-Mediterranean worlds. It will also bring out the best in all of us —a combination of genius, creativity, experience, and means.”
CAF president Patrice Motsepe recently indicated that the continental football body would support the novel concept of unifying two continents.
Motsepe said that as the leadership of CAF, they would work together to ensure unity and collaboration. He believes that if African nations combine their efforts, they can make an African country a World Cup host once again.
Previous Moroccan bids were not successful in their goal to host the 1994, 1998, 2006, 2010 and 2026 editions.
However, Morocco has all the necessary conditions for hosting the World Cup, boasting some of the best stadiums, infrastructure and hotels.
Having been acclaimed for organising the FIFA Club World Cup in February, they are also vying to host the 2025 African Cup of Nations.-STAFF WRITER